Friday, March 22, 2013

The age old argument of faith vs works...

I saw it on a van not long ago...large, bold, not to be missed, cap letters encircling the back window were the words: "Hands that serve are holier than lips that pray.' While one might understand some circumstances that could lead someone to say this, without further explanation, it seemed to me a pretty brazen statement. However, to reverse this and say, "Lips that pray are holier than hands that serve" would, to me, be equally as brazen without further explanation. 

I have to admit that the van's statement certainly does make me wonder where the owner of the van was coming from. This van owner might be a Christian, or not...we don't know. Perhaps the owner has been hurt by someone who prayed but felt no inclination to offer a hand of help in Christian charity in a time of need. Or perhaps this person is not a believer in prayer and its power at all. 

I'll never know circumstances that would lead one to put such a bold statement on their car, but my mind is called back once again to how Christians down through the ages have argued over what pleases God the most.  Is it faith, or is it works? This very thing is a matter of discussion in the Bible, in the 2nd chapter of James, and brings clarity that, at least for me, puts an end to the matter. Still, the argument goes on, and will most likely until the end of time. I can't help it though, I'm always saddened when people try to pit faith and works against one another when they are, like breathing in and breathing out, meant to be inseparable.

No comments: